A delightful new chocolatey twist on a classic Baked Alaska, made with Fifth Dimension Chocolates’ 70% Colombian dark chocolate and unique Mango and Passion fruit Caramel Sauce – the ideal sensational dessert for impressing dinner party guests or celebrating any special occasion.
Difficulty – Medium
Chocolate Ice Cream
- 250g – 70% Colombian dark chocolate (from Fifth Dimension Chocolates.com)
- 150g caster sugar
- 150ml water
- 4 large eggs, yolks only (keep the egg whites for the meringue)
- 500ml whipping cream
- 4 small pastry cases or 1 large pastry case (or flan cases) – you can buy these in the shops ready-made for ease and to save time
- 1 jar of Mango & Passion fruit caramel sauce (from Fifth Dimension Chocolates.com)
- 1 passion fruit
- 70% Colombian chocolate Ice Cream
- 4 egg whites
- 225g caster sugar
This recipe is in two parts.
First make the ice cream the day before. Then prepare the meringue for the Baked Alaska just before serving.
Ice cream takes 25-30 mins plus churning.
Baked Alaska takes 20 mins
Chocolate Ice Cream:
1. Melt the chocolate in a bain-marie or in a microwave (low-medium power, in short bursts, stir in between bursts) until just melted. Never let the temperature of the chocolate go above 33 ºC.
2. Half whisk the cream, until it just starts to thicken slightly.
3. Dissolve the sugar in the water over a low heat first. Then turn up the heat and boil rapidly for a few minutes to get a light syrup (i.e. before the syrup changes colour). If you have a food thermometer, make sure the syrup reaches 108 ºC. Leave the mixture to cool for one minute.
4. While the sugar and water is heating up, place the egg yolks in a mixing bowl, and begin whisking using an electric whisk, until they are a light colour and have a mousse-like texture. Then trickle in the hot syrup. Continue whisking until the mixture is thick and shiny. Fold in the whipping cream, and then fold in the melted chocolate until thoroughly blended.
5. Pour the mixture into an ice cream machine and churn until frozen.
1. Pre heat the oven to 230C / Gas mark 8. Take the ice cream out of the freezer and let it soften for 10-15 minutes
2. To make the meringue, whisk the egg whites at full speed until they are stiff but not dry. Add the caster sugar one teaspoonful at a time while whisking on high speed until all sugar has been added.
3. To prepare the base, cover each pastry case with 1 teaspoon of the Mango & Passion fruit caramel sauce. Cut the passion fruit in half and scoop out the fruit onto the sauce. Cover with ice cream but not so much that it is over the edge of the pastry case.
4. Pipe the meringue over the ice cream. Important – Make sure there are no gaps to let the heat get through the meringue to the ice cream.
5. Bake immediately in the oven for about 3-4 mins until the meringue goes brown.
Of course you can make the pastry case yourself if you can’t find these in the shops, or you can cut out a base using a ready-made sponge – just make sure that you cover the entire sponge base as well as all of the ice cream with the meringue before baking at the end
The ice cream in this recipe is ideal for the Baked Alaska as this is a very firm ice cream. You need to take it out of the freezer about 10-15 mins before you use it. It will still be fairly hard, this is good when you put it in the oven and it will not melt as easily and will still be firm when you bring it out of the oven.